Bagan Info aims to provide tourists with comprehensive information of and itineraries within Bagan, a UNESCO sites while contributing to the integrity and sustainability of the cultural site.
If you were a tourist in Bagan, a beautiful and ancient city of Myanmar, you need to grab this app to know which tourist attraction sites are currently populated, or other real-time information about the Bagan.
Solution and Use case
The idea is to contribute to the country's development, especially in the tourism sector and cultural heritage promotion and conservation by using advanced technology and smart idea. Since 1996, Myanmar launched "Visit Myanmar Year 1996" program to promote the tourism sector.
However, the program seemed to be difficult to achieve the expectation due to limited information about the tourist attraction sites, as well as civil conflicts. Despite Myanmar possessing great tourist potential and attractions in many respects, the number of visitors to Burma is small compared to her neighbours, outpaced by even Laos. According to national statistics, tourists comprised 73.84% (313,127 arrivals) of overseas visitors in the 2010-2011 fiscal year, with revenue of $315 million in 2011 by tourism sector alone.
Addressing the great tourist potential, it is necessary to provide the information about the tourist attraction sites, while conserving the cultural heritage by effectively managing the revenue derived from tourism sector.
Therefore, the project aims to develop the web-based application, collecting the real-time information of tourist destinations in Myanmar, which should be user-friendly. At the same time, the project intends to promote the market for local products at or around the tourist sites. Therefore, as a case, we select the Bagan, which is one of the famous tourist attraction sites in Myanamar, for this project.
Besides, there are several levels of zoning in Bagan such as property zone and buffer zone. However, not all the information is readily available, and each authority seems to have their own version of such maps in managing the different spots within the heritage area. It needs to plan out tourists to be dispersed throughout the cultural heritage property and into the surrounding areas4. Moreover, there have been several reported case of visitors not following the regulations set up by the local authority in order to ensure the integrity and sustainability of the site. Currently, according to the many survey, the tourists find it difficult to be informed of specific information about each spots, activities, and shops.
The current issues can be summarized as follow-
1) Limited information on each spots, activities, and shops located within the site-
2) Ineffective management tool (particularly zoning and increasing local income)-
3) Fail to follow the regulations by the visitors
Therefore, this app will
Use of GNSS
We would like to use GNSS Signals in our simple app as follow:
- To know the real-time information about the number of tourists/visitors at a specific tourist hotspot, using the signals (A few visitors may not use signals, but it seems to be negligible.)
- To inform the visitors/tourists (as alert) whether they are in property zone (which is strictly managed), and they are approached to the zone
Specific use of Galileo
In our app, the service providing the real-time information regarding the crowded sites, an alert system is our innovation to help our customers for their comfort and easy-to-go tour around the city by themselves.
Using our app, our customers will easily know which tourist hotspot should be the suitable to visit, and due to alert system, they will easily notice what they could do or could not do in the property zone.
Also, as for the management body of the respective tourist hotspot, they could conserve their cultural heritage in a smart manner.
We would like to develop the simple app using our idea, using the GNSS signals. In combination of Galileo‘s accuracy, especially for crowded information and for alert system, we essentially needs the integrated system. However, we may need the app developer.
Proof of concept
The final product would be a mobile app for iOS and android. Due to limited app developing capacity, we created a mockup using figma.
EU GNSS technologies (Galileo)
In this app, we would like to use the real-time information provided by Galileo to show the tourists where the crowded sites are. To know the real-time information, Galileo is much more precise in geographical position system. Without Galileo, the app would not work in function.
Five newbies from different interested fields form a team.
1. Dr. Nyein Chan is a post-doctoral researcher in Area Studies and Ethnic Land Use. He will coordinate the team.
2. Mr. Kyaw Zeyar Tun is working as a Director at Remote Sensing and GIS Research Center, Yangon Technological University, Yangon, and he provides the background information and idea in Bagan.
3. Ms. Nway Nway Aung will join as an information and technical assistant.
4. Mr. Zwe Maung Maung is a government staff at Forest Department, and will be joining the team as a data and information collector for the drafted project.
5. Mr. Thet Oo is a government staff at Forest Department, and will be joining the team as a data collector while helping the finalization of the drafted project in terms of ideas, language, and information.