Did we became more selective in the places we spend our precious time?
Considering the health crisis from the last years, the tourism was seriously affected by this matter because people started to give more attention to quality of their lifestyle: food, services, environment and implicitly the places where they spend their free time. This slowed down the tourism in popular locations, such as the seaside, but increased the desire to explore qualitative places, which are not easy to spot. For this reason, a quality index (Q-SEA) that describes the condition of water from all seaside of Italy and offers the opportunity to make a comparison between areas, is a very powerful instrument that can be put at the disposal of coastal local business and implicitly of the tourists.
What is this index all about? It is about temperature of the water, concentration of the suspended matter, concentration of the algal pigment and the pH of the water, combined. This data is obtained using images from Copernicus, in particular from the Sentinel satellites.
⚖️ Business model
Our business will be based on two different approaches: Business to Consumer (B2C) and Business to Business (B2B). In the B2C, we will use a mobile App to build a large user base and build trust; to accomplish this objective we will provide our Q-SEA and other information freely. In the subsequent B2B phase, we will use our trust to make agreements with local business in order to offer a rental / booking service in our App; on each transaction we will ask for a fee ( e.g. AirBnB model ). Moreover we will ask local business to pay for a subscription which makes them more visible on our App and also to receive statistical data to better tailor their services for final customers.
Business model key points:
- Medium: YourSea mobile app
- Target: Tourists and Locals
- Service: Provide fair information based on Q-SEA index, generated using the aforementioned parameters; provide a booking service to search and rent boats and/or equipment from nearby local businesses (i.e. ports, water sports equipment rental centers); provide extra (paid) features
- Model: Freemium, i.e. a free subscription and a premium one (with extra features, e.g. "cleanest" route calculation from point A to B)
- Revenue: Premium subscription; Advertisement; Fees on rental transactions ( when agreements with local businesses are made )
- Medium: Cloud service
- Target: Local businesses
- Service: Provide statistical data to businesses in order to offer tailored services to customers; raise visibility on App
- Model: Subscription plans
- Revenue: Subscriptions values
🛰️ EU space technologies
Sentinel 3B - OLCI - CHL - Level 2 (used for determination algal pigment concentration);
Sentinel 3B - OLCI - TSM - Level 2 (used for determination of total suspended matter concentration);
Sentinel 3B - SLSTR - Level 2 (used for determination of sea surface temperature);
Copernicus Marine Service - Medsea analysis forecast (used for determination of ph);
The data was processed using Snap Program, the ultimate goal was to obtain an Water Quality Index with the help of which we can see more better the costal areas where the water quality is the best one.
The value of the satellite data is invaluable because these provide many informations for free, with a good resolution.
🏖️ (Re)Visit Europe
Challenge #3: Exploring nature with care Design products, devices or services that can help offer tourists a unique and sustainable opportunity to explore our nature. If you choose this challenge, you’ll be encouraged to focus on tourist information about the environmental state, conservation of local nature and biodiversity, generation of (new) routes, points of interest and activities, social recognition and social media and support local businesses and communities.
48% of the tourism going on in Italy is coastal tourism and ~40 million people come every year on Italy`s seaside. This can seriously impact in a negative way the environment and the local businesses that benefit from activities happening in the coastal areas because, according to greenreport.it, the main pollution cause in the coastal areas is the human action. To reduce these negative effects, people should be informed permanently about the state of the sea water, so they can correct harmful habits.
These are the reasons why we are facing the third challenge, with next areas of focus: „Tourist information about environmental state„ and „Supporting local businesses and communities„. Thanks to our product we can provide a solution to these matters, improving the travel experience and protecting the sorroundings.
Tiution Dumitrita - Chief Executive Officer
- in charge of management and leadership;
Sabou Catalin-Stefanel - Chief Technology Officer
- designs the product, tests it and develops it, ensures the quality of the product;
Cordari Flavio - Research and Development Officer
- identifying profitable opportunities using technology, information and data
Frezza Martina - Chief Marketing Officer
- deals up with the marketing, prices and sales, exploration of new opportunities;
Marco Bisegna - Business Developer Officer
- business modelling and development;