CityHack Tomar, Portugal - The city as a social platform.
The Polytechnic Institute of Tomar and the Municipality of Tomar with the sponsorship of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation announce the 3rd edition of the CityHack Project - The city as a social platform.
CityHack is a 24-hour marathon event aimed at developing technology solutions for the cities. The 2019 edition is dedicated to find solutions to challenges with social impact. The event is highly supported by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation within the scope of the Hack for Good Project, which is part of the Gulbenkian program for Cohesion and Social Integration.
The candidate teams may include 3 to 6 students of Universities or Polytechnic Institutes, in which at least two of them must be from technological courses.
The team may include two elements that do not attend higher education.
This project aims to encourage participants to present technological solutions to improve the quality of life in cities, by recognizing, valuing and retaining talent, and also aiming to create conditions for the development of the proposed ideas.
There is no registration fee and all the 24-hour logistics, including meals, will be charged to the organization.
Proposed subjects to work on:
Communication and social relationships
- Solutions to prevent loneliness, social isolation and sedentarism in older people.
Health and well-being
- Digitization of healthcare services and development of prevention and rehabilitation processes.
- Technologies to help caregivers being more effective in senior care.
- Cognitive stimulation tools presented in a simple, intuitive and funny way.
- Technological solutions to help seniors persueing a healthy and proper nutrition.
- Designing alternative solutions of public trasports for the eldrely.
Transfer of knowledge
- Platforms to promote connection between young people and the elderly and to prevent loss of knowledge.
- Appropriate financial services for the elderly.
Integration of refugees and migrants into host societies
- Technological solutions that contribute to inclusion in the host society, such as learning the language of the host society, and stimuli to creativity through arts and sport.
Integration in the labour market
- Development of technological solutions to improve the integration of active migrant population in the labour market.
Wellness of children and youth
Health, wellness and healthy lifestyle
- Which types of care are given to this group? How can we identify psychological disturbances or developing disorders? How to encourage children and youth to implement best practices in nutrition, exercise and wellness overall?
Social and emotional skills: how to get emotional and social skills?
- Design of technological solutions that aim to train resilience, sociability, reinforcement of self-esteem and self-control, participation and citizenship, as well as stimulating creativity through arts and sport.
- How to promote the qualification of caregivers, parents and other relatives, and professionals? Can we improve parental practices through training and monitoring?
- Is it possible to make learning easier by stimulating, motivating and using playful and appealing forms? Can we use tools to help schools and teachers reducing failure, absenteeism, and drop-out?
People with disabilities
- Technological solutions to improve the efficient use of personal devices (computers, tablets and smartphones) by people with special needs.
- Development of technologies that contribute to increase the mobility of people with motor impairments.
- Development of technologies that contribute to increasing the efficiency of caregivers of people with special needs.
- Design of simple, and user-friendly software tools to help the cognitive stimulation of people with special needs (e.g., autism).
Sustained transformation of the labor market
Generating new forms of work
- Technological growth has put many professions at risk, threatening the livelihoods of millions of people. Thus we want to search for technological solutions that contribute to the generation of new forms of work, and consequently help the sustained transformation of the labour market.
Conversion of workers
- Development of technological solutions contributing to make easier the conversion of workers whose professions are in danger of extinction.
Education of sustainability
- Development of technologies that promote the social and economic improvement of people, through better use of natural and energy resources.
Sustainable forest development
- Search for solutions of sustainable forest management. These proposals should contribute to improve the life conditions of the population. This can be done, for instance, through the prevention of fires or the creation of new jobs.
- Proposal of solutions that promote the development of new businesses that protect the environment and promote social welfare.
Other with social impact
Complexo da Levada