Our solution uses WiFi to to a quick handshake between the controller and the passenger apps.
When the controller enters a vehicle their phone is providing a WiFi hotspot, which passengers' phone will automatically connect to. Upon connection, the passenger app sends a message containing current valid tickets as well as personal information. After receiving an acknowledge by the controller app, the passenger's phone disconnects from the WiFi.
- A controller can now immediately see if there are passengers with expired or no valid tickets
- Passengers only need WiFi on their phone enabled
- No physical interaction is needed
- No jamming of other communication channels (bluetooth)
- All data is transferred encrypted
- The quick disconnect after receiving an acknowledge combats WiFi spoofing
- Every registered passenger will have a phone saved into their settings, which can not be changed quickly. This avoids sharing of the app/tickets
We plan to deliver a proof of concept app pair that sends the message with the data (mocked data) and acknowledges the message. In detail:
- Passenger app with data saved that sends the data upon WiFi connection
- Controller app that receives and acknowledges the app, as well, as shows the ticket status of the passenger
The biography can be found at our corresponding TAIKAI profile pages: